- CloudWatch’s Free Tier metric update frequency is
- In the Detailed monitoring data available for your EBS volumes, provisioned IOPS volumes automatically send
1 minutemetrics to CloudWatch.
- ec2-revoke RevokeSecurityGroupIngress means
remove one or more rules from a security group. The value you specify in the revoke request must be existing rule’s value for the rule to be removed.
- ec2-create-group CreateSecurityGroup means
create a security group for use with your account.
NOTE: user have a limit on the number of security group one can create.
3. To go to EBS in EC2 console, click
Volumes in EC2 console.
4. All EC2 instances are assigned two IP addresses at launch, you can use
Private IPv4 addresses for communication between instances in the same network (EC2-Classic or VPC)
5. To view all categories of instance metadata from within a running instance, use the URL
- To change security group membership for interfaces owned by other services,
use the console or command line interface for that service
EMR File System, or EMRFS is
- An implementation of HDFS on AWS which allows clusters to store data on S3
- Uses data directly on S3 without ingesting into HDFS
- Reliability, durability and scalability of S3
- Resize and terminate EMR clusters without losing data
- Can support multiple EMR clusters point to the same S3 buckets
- Checks for list and read-after-write consistency for new S3 objects written or synched with EMRFS
- Retry logic if inconsistency is detected
- Metadata in DynamoDB keeps track of S3 objects
- An IAM group is a collection of users. You can use groups to specify permissions for a collection of users, which can make those permissions easier to manage for those users.
- While launching an RDS DB instance, on
DB Instance Detailpage one can select the Available Zone.
- When you provision a Multi-AZ DB instance, RDS automatically creates a primary db instance and synchronously replicates the data to a standby db instance in a
different Availability Zone.
- S3 stands for
Simple Storage Service
- Reduced Redundancy option in S3 is
less redundancy for a lower cost
Region vs Availability Zone
Amazon EC2 is hosted in multiple locations world-wide. These locations are composed of
Regionis a separate geographic area.
Availability Zoneis a isolated locations under
Region is completely independent. Each
Availability Zone is isolated, but the Availability Zones in a region are connected through low-latency links.
Redshift vs RDS
AWS RDS offers an RDBMS used to answer MANY SMALL FAST queries. Primarily used by END CUSTOMERS. This is also known as an OLTP(Online Transaction Processing) system.
AWS Redshift is a Data Warehouse, used to anser A FEW, LONG RUNNING queries on LARGE sets of data. Primarily used by INTERNAL users. This is also known as an OLAP(Online Analytics Processing) system.